Sporting Clays is the closest thing to actual field shooting of all shotgun sports. The sport dates back to England in the early 1900’s when trap shooting used live pigeons. With the introduction of clay targets, the sport began to take on the popular form known today. But rather than using standardized distances, target angles and target sizes, sporting clays courses are designed to simulate the hunting of ducks, pheasants and even rabbits. Six different sizes of clay targets give the participant the experience of actual hunting conditions, so you can see why the sport is so popular with hunters.
Join the National Sporting Clays Association today!
Welcome back to another exciting year of sporting clays at the Western Mass Bird Dog Club.
Our sporting clay course is a public affair, you don’t have to be a club member to participate, and is open to all levels of experience and age groups .
This year fees will remain at $35 for a non-club member, and $30 for all club members.
We also have season passes for non-club members & with a one time initial payment of $60, which will allow a non-club member to participate at the regular member price for the rest of the season.
NEWS: This year our sporting clays course will open with the annual Leprechaun shoot on March 25 (rain day April1st). This is a special event, and is also open to public.
The course it self will be open (all 100 targets & all 15 stations) on May 6th 2023, and weather permitting, will run every Saturday until one week following the annual Piemonte & Mulak Memorial ~ NSCA shoot which has been scheduled for September 10th 2023.
If you are interested in the two mentioned special shoots, please click on the EVENTS tab.
Additionally the Wednesday Night Shoot is back! Opening day for that will be June 7th 2023 and will run through August 16th 2023. 50 targets followed by a light meal, this has proven to be a great time for those who have attended it in the past. FEE: $30 for all participants. Start time for this weekly event is 5:30pm.
Once again, wishing you all a Happy New Year & we look forward to seeing you on the course.
Lets break some clays!
Member Price: $30 for 100 targets
Non-WMBDC members can purchase a discount card for $60.00
The card is good for one calendar year
- Safety Glasses must be worn at ALL times when on the course, even when you are not shooting. Please remind your squad if someone is not wearing their safety glasses.
- Only shoot from the station that is manned by a trapper.
- All shots must be taken from in the station. Shooting from anywhere else including “next to” or “in front of” is strictly prohibited.
- A shotgun should only be loaded when a shooter is in a station and the target area is deemed safe. All other guns shall be unloaded and placed on a rack.
- When leaving any station or shooting area, shooters must ensure that the shotgun is unloaded and the action is open.
- No practice swings will be allowed except while in a station or in a practice area. Practice swings behind any station are not permitted.
- Everyone must stay on the course trail.
- At no time will a shooter load more than TWO shells in a shotgun. The largest shot size permitted is #7 (i.e. # 8, 9 allowed – No #6 or larger).
- Never handle another shooter’s gun without their permission.
- It is forbidden to shoot at any live game.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed on the course or any designated shooting areas.
- Never try to fix a thrower if there is a problem.
- If you experience or see something that is unsafe, please notify our staff or range official as soon as possible.